Near the town of Stepanavan, on a promontory between the gorges of the Dzoragets and Miskhana Rivers, is a ruined fortress with huge towers and massive stone blocks along its exposed side. Originally the base of David Anhogin, who ruled the region of Tashir-Dzoraget from 989 to 1048, it eventually became a base for the Orbelians and Zakarians, powerful Armenian noble families. There are ruined buildings worth exploring, an ancient cemetery, and hillocks that are Bronze Age tumulus tombs. A 14th-century bridge is in the gorge below.
Parking location – Lori Beri: 41.004389N 44.429026E (🚻,💦)