Novi Pazar, town, southwestern Serbia. It lies in the Raška River valley, in a rough and hilly country near the site of Stari Ras, which was the capital city of the medieval Serbian state in the 12th–14th century. The town was rebuilt by the Ottoman Turks after their conquest of the Balkans in the 15th century. It became an important market town and was the administrative center of a Turkish military district. The Altum Alem Mosque (16th century) dates from the Ottoman period, as does an 18th-century caravansary on the town’s main square. Novi Pazar began to decline in the 18th century and was burned three times by the Serbs in the 19th century. After the Balkan Wars of 1912–13, it was ceded to Serbia.
Parking location – Novi Pazar: 43.137878N 20.517339E