We have visited one of the most beautiful and largest castles in Slovakia, located in the northern Orava region. The Orava Castle (entrance 7 EUR, parking 5 EUR), built on a rock above the river Orava in Oravský Podzámok like an “eagle nest” was built in the place of an older wooden hillfort after the Tartar invasion in 1241. Through the following centuries, this small fortress transformed into an extensive castle structure with 154 rooms. The castle then held the position of a county castle with the seat of the Orava administration headquarters that controlled almost the whole Orava region. Both the exterior and the interior of the castle carry the elements of Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and even contemporary architecture. The complex of Orava Castle consists of various buildings adapted to the shape of the castle hill. Since 1556, the castle was administered by the Thurzo family who initiated the greatest rebuilding actions in its history. The castle then acquired its final form in 1611. The castle area consists of a remarkable complex of the Lower, Middle, and Upper Castle with palaces, fortification system, and towers. The connection of three castle gates and the tunnel with underground passages is interesting to its visitors.
Parking location – Oravský Podzámok: 49.257701N 19.358508E (🚻)