We had gloomy weather at Gremi, the former capital of Kakheti (1466-1672). It was a lively trading town on the Silk Road and a royal residence until being totally devastated by Shah Abbas in 1615. The town never regained its past prosperity, and the kings of Kakheti transferred their capital to Telavi in the mid-17th century. Within the citadel is the Church of the Archangels, built in 1565 by King Levan (who is buried inside), with excellent frescoes from 1577.
Parking location – Gremi: 42.000277N 45.659590E (🚻)