Not far from Etchmiadzin, Catholicos Nerses III sponsored the construction of the “Celestial Angels Cathedral” in the 7th century. Destroyed in the 10th century, its evocative ruins (🎫1300 AMD) now stand in a semi-industrial landscape. It was initially dedicated to – and housed relics of – Surp Grigor Lusavorich, the first Catholicos of the Armenian Church. The ruins lay buried until the 20th century when they were excavated, and the cathedral was partially reconstructed in a polygonal form with plenty of columns supporting carved arches.
Parking location – Zvartnots: 40.165289N 44.336930E