Today we made overnight in the harbor (Southern Pier) in Ventspils in walking distance to its nice beach with ‘Govs-Matrozis’ (The Sailor Cow) – a giant blue-colored cow dressed as a seafarer. The city is situated on the Venta River and the Baltic Sea. The city’s name literally means “castle on the Venta”, referring to the Livonian Order’s castle built alongside the Venta River around 1314. It became an important mercantile city of the Hanseatic League and blossomed as a shipbuilding center. In the morning we took a walk around the sleepy Old Town with Nicholas Lutheran church (built in 1835).
Ventspils – parking location: 57.3972930N 21.5334900E