SÜMEG

Hike to the well maintained castle with great views, which was built in the mid or late 13th century by Béla IV of Hungary. He lived in the castle during the Mongolian invasion between 1241-1242. Later, it was presented as a gift to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Veszprém by Stephen V of Hungary. Sumeg Castle is situated on top of the mountain called “Castle Hill”, it lies 20 miles north of Lake Balaton. During its existence, it has been expanded several times. In the 15th century, it was fortified, and the second of two towers were built. It has been under siege several times and has experienced two fires. In 1552, in response to the capture of Veszprem by the Turks, the castle was rebuilt and fortified to serve as a frontier fortress. In 1713, after the Austrian occupation during Rakoczy’s War for Independence, troops set the castle on fire. During the 20th century, parts of the castle were restored. Since 1989, it has been privately held and restored on a large scale, providing events and tournaments every week.